Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oldmando

I went through a phase when I was 12-13 yrs old. Arnold Schwazenegger movies. And at the top of that list was the 1985 materpiece: COMMANDO. I remember reading that there was something like 141 onscreen kills in the movie's 88 min run time. Brilliant. Now I've grown up. I'm kinder, gentler. Fart jokes aren't as funny as they used to be. I like movies with stories, characters, and cinematography. Ahhh, who am I kidding? I'm going to go watch RED HEAT now...







2 comments:

Steve Steiner said...

yeah - I'm digging this! I like the limited use of colors you're using. And I REALLY love how you're using the same background color on the page like on page 4. I think I'm going to try and rip that off and try it out with my work.

I like the frantic pace and all the action shots too. I guess my only criticism would be that, due to the pace, it's a little hard to tell exactly what's going on in every panel for me. I got the overall story though I guess.

You planning on submitting this to Zuda? Or is the horizontal format and 8 pages just a coincidence?

Gabe Ostley said...

thanks steve! yeah, I submitted it awhile ago but I'm thinking it's too obviously a spoof of a movie for Zuda. There may be rights and copyright problems, so they may not want to go there.
But OLDMAN fights on. I look at this as just a chapter in his DON QUIXOTE like saga.
By the way, if you go to my website (gabeostley.com) and look in the comics section, there's a page I did about 3 yrs ago called JUNGLE OLDMAN. Kind of like your Col. Mactaggert. I'm thinking these guys should have a team-up sometime. Just to appease the wild hordes of fans. ;D